Why Are Schools Still Segregated?

 

See the source image 

 

Brown V. Board of education was the foundation of integrating schools in 1954, but today, we still see segregation. Why? Why are schools still segregated? I think the main reason schools are still segregated is because some of the staff and educators still believe in the segregation mindset. Sadly, this affects the students and how students of color are treated differently. Many educators will try to single out students of color, but will allow white students to get away with certain behavior. Also, when a lot of teachers make groups in the classroom, often times you'll see them group students by race. I have experienced this in school because I am a Hispanic woman, and many teachers would put me in a group with fellow Hispanics or someone of color. Of course I didn't mind, but you could tell that the teachers only wanted the white students to succeed in the classroom. 


Another thing that can affect the students, is how the teacher talks, teaches and educates certain students. The typical stereotype for minorities is that we are "dumb." So, often at times, many teachers will try to pick on the minorities in the classroom to prove a point to the white students. I'm not just saying this to say it, but I saw it all throughout school, especially high school. I want better for our world and our minorities. All students deserve the right to a fair and equal education. The color of someone's skin shouldn't define how they're educated or taught. I hope by the time I become a teacher, that this has bypassed, because I'm a person that believes in equal rights for every single person on this earth!

Comments