What Makes Great Teaching?

 

http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/jcx/6ro/jcx6roGgi.jpg 

 I think great teaching involves care, love, acceptance, selflessness, and being attentive. One thing teachers don't get, is that the students will tell you what they need, if you allow them to. That's why I enjoyed the Empathy Limiting Mistake assignment. It allows the teacher to see how certain students think, feel, and how they should view things in the world. It also allows the teacher to be aware of what the students have gone through and how they felt about their mistake, or how someone else's mistake made them feel. I also feel like the 3 Minute Pause assignment, allows the students to be aware of their own actions. It lets them reflect on their own views, and view of others. It allows the students to understand the impact that certain events have had on others. My favorite assignment had to be Word it Out. It allows students to pin out phrases and words that have impacted them or which words stood out to them most. It allows the students to reflect on what they were presented with and how it made them feel. I also feel like this would be a good assignment to present. It allows all the students to see and understand the perspectives of other students. I think a lot of courage comes with great teaching. You have to stand out as a teacher and allow the kids to lean on you, during different times. A lot of trust comes with great teaching. If the students trust you then they'll be more tuned in when you talk and teach. We have amazing teaching skills all over the world, but teachers have to realize that listening to your kids will benefit you and them in the long run. Not all students learn the same, but you can always learn how to change your teaching ways. 

I enjoyed this class and the many things is has taught me. I hope everyone in this course becomes a successful, understanding, and loving teacher. Hope the semester went well for you all!

Comments

  1. This is a great blog post! I really enjoyed your take on these assignments and lessons we learned. I love where you said " The students will tell you what they need, if you let them" this is so true it kind of works the same way that our body tells us what we need if we just pay attention. Going along with favorite assignments you said yours was the word it out, I think mine was the blackout poem because in a jumble of words and letters we were able to pick out the important stuff that meant something to us. I agree with you about how not all students learn the same and how teachers need to be willing to change their ways to benefit the students. However, I think it goes beyond the teachers the system needs to start listening and start changing to benefit teachers and students together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this blog post! I agree that being a teacher involves a lot of love and care! And especially being attentive. I also agree that the empathy limiting mistake assignment really helped me in learning how to understand students better. I think that this assignment really taught us how to admit our mistakes and understand each other as humans better. I think for me the most important assignment was how to keep our lessons culturally relevant. I really liked this assignment and I thought that it helps us as educators do right by each student. By exposing them to culturally relevant content, we are helping shape society and help students become the best version of themselves they can. I really liked that you liked the word it out assignment, I also agreed that this was a fun assignment. I think that it is important to learn what students are thinking and this specific assignment definitely helps us do that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment